Amanda-Users

Re: VXA-2 packet-loader issues and AMANDA [Fwd: hard luck with the new autoloader]

2005-02-04 10:46:01
Subject: Re: VXA-2 packet-loader issues and AMANDA [Fwd: hard luck with the new autoloader]
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org, freelsjd AT ornl DOT gov
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2005 10:38:14 -0500
On Friday 04 February 2005 09:41, James D. Freels wrote:
>I specifically pointed out to the Exabyte tech support that I
> thought the Linux tools
>provided with the tape drive were Intel-specific and because I had
> an Alpha, it would
>not execute properly.  I knew this because I had already tried to
> use them prior to
>calling Exabyte.  I already had the latest firmware upgrades and
> tools ready as I was
>going to do this anyway.  But, before I had tried it, I already had
> a call into Exabyte
>tech support to see if it was really necessary to upgrade the
> firmware in my case.
>This was 2-3 phone calls into their tech support.  They finally
> returned my call and
>by this time I had already made significant progress.
>
>I agree that I should insist on getting a version of their utilities
>that will run on
>this Alpha/LInux machine.  When talking with the tech support, he
>actually read
>the system requirements back to me as we looked at them together on
> the web
>and he pointed out it just says "linux 2.4.x" and does NOT specify
>particular arch.
>Indeed, the same tools are available in other OS besides Windows and
>Linux, so it
>should be fairly easy for them to recompile or provide the source so
> I can compile
>for my Alpha.  I will make this request because I should not have to
>uncable and
>boot up an Intel machine specifically for this purpose.
>

>When you say "cabling" issues, does this include a separate scsi
> card specific for the
>tape drive ?  I think my cable connections are good.

I don't recall mentioning cableing issues, but its  certainly possible
given the widespread miss-understanding of the specifics of setting
up a bus system thats actually a transmission line and MUST be
properly terminated.  Even then it may call for sacrifical virgins
etc to make it work if the term power is substandard as delivered
down the cable from the host.

>The scsi card I have is a "LSI Logic / Symbios Logic (formerly NCR)
>53c875 (rev 04)"
>All devices are indicating on boot up (dmesg) at 40 MB/s except the
>CD-Rom which
>is indicating 10 MB/s.  I have 3 hard drives, 2 tape drives
> (including the new one
>having trouble), and 1 CD-Rom in this scsi chain.  I have tried all
>three scsi drivers
>available for this card in the linux kernel 1) ncr53c8xx, 2)
> sym53c8xx, and 3) sym53c8xx-2.
>The ncr53c8xx driver seems to give the least problems, so I have
>concentrated on
>this one.  As I said, the "library" (autoloader) seems to work
>correctly, but it
>is just the tape writing that is giving me problems at present.  It
> is able to label the tapes,
>but not write a larger data set to the tape.

This does begin to have the flavor of cabling/term problems about it.

Q:  Are all devices on the cable with this tape drive the same width,
eg all 50 pin or all 80 pin?

Q: If this drive is not the last on the cable, and at the very end of
the cable, have the drives terms been removed?

Q: If this drive is a narrow drive (50 pin connectors) and the card a
wide, 80 pin card, has the extra, unused lines of the cable been
terminated?  If so, where?

Grab a meter, and check the voltage available on one of the data lines
when the system is powered up but quiet.  Anything less than 2.75
volts is going to require the virgins, or replacing the silicon
isolation diode on the card with a much lower voltage drop schotkey
type in order to get adequate term power.  3.0 volts there should be
the target to shoot at.

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
by Gene Heskett are: