Amanda-Users

Re: Permission problems with LVM

2005-01-21 11:09:22
Subject: Re: Permission problems with LVM
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 11:00:13 -0500
On Friday 21 January 2005 03:55, Hans van Zijst wrote:
>Hi Gene,
>
>Gene Heskett wrote:
>> First, the normal amanda install is to configure and make it as an
>> unpriviledged user, like 'amanda'.  This user 'amanda' should be
>> made a member of the group 'disk' or some similar high ranking
>> operator.
>>
>> When that make is done, then become root to do the install, and
>> re-running ldconfig after that is a good idea too.
>>
>> If thats done, the installer will properly set the permissions and
>> amanda should be able to backup just about everything.  If this
>> sequence is not done, then amanda will have all sorts of
>> permissions problems.
>
>Thanks for the hint. I didn't know about the ldconfig trick, what
> does that do? Unfortunately this doesn't make any difference. I
> fixed the permissions of the lvm files, then reconfigured,
> recompiled and reinstalled Amanda and ran ldconfig (I added the
> amanda libdir to ld.so.conf first). But still the same problem.
> More hints? :)
>
>Regards,
>
>Hans

Are you using xinetd?  You may have to edit the amanda related file(s)
in the /etc/xinetd.d directory.  They should look something like
this:
# default = off
#
# This is the list of daemons & such it needs
service amanda
{
 disable = no
        socket_type     = dgram
        protocol        = udp
        wait            = yes
        user            = amanda
        group           = disk
        groups          = yes
        server          = /usr/local/libexec/amandad
}
service amandaidx
{
        disable = no
        socket_type     = stream
        protocol        = tcp
        wait            = no
        user            = amanda
        group           = disk
        groups          = yes
        server          = /usr/local/libexec/amindexd
}
service amidxtape
{
 disable = no
        socket_type     = stream
        protocol        = tcp
        wait            = no
        user            = amanda
        group           = disk
        groups          = yes
        server          = /usr/local/libexec/amidxtaped
}

Show the list the output of an "amcheck [configname]" while su'd to
the operator that will run amanda, and whose crontab will contain the
command to run amdump.

I make it simple and just added a user named 'amanda', then makeing
amanda a member of group 'disk'.  I also, as root, will do a 'chown
-R amanda:disk amanda-2.4.5b1-20041221/' when I remember it, but I
don't see any drastic effects most of the time, depending on what
user Jean-Louis was when he packed up the archive :-)

amanda-2.4.5b1-20041221 is the build dir and exists in /home/amanda/,
keeping it all in the family so to speak.

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
by Gene Heskett are: