Amanda-Users

Re: Permission problems with LVM

2005-01-21 08:52:10
Subject: Re: Permission problems with LVM
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: Hans van Zijst <hzi AT syncera DOT nl>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 14:43:48 +0100
Hans van Zijst wrote:
Hmm, that messages wasn't supposed to be sent yet...

Hans van Zijst wrote:

I did, months ago. So it should be using the setuid runtar binary, but still it can't read stuff. Maybe the problem arises in an earlier stage, before the actual backup is done. When I run amcheck, it complains it can't read the exclude-lists.

Actually, I didn't even see that msg...

The problem seems to be smaller than I thought. Indeed it complains about not being able to read the exlude-lists:

 > Amanda Backup Client Hosts Check
 > --------------------------------
 > ERROR: pippin.syncera.nl: [Can't open exclude file
 > '/var/cvs/./amanda_exclude.txt': Permission denied]
 > Client check: 1 host checked in 0.037 seconds, 1 problem found
 >
 > (brought to you by Amanda 2.4.4p3)

My disklist contains the entry /dev/mapper/vg00-cvs btw, not /var/cvs.

But amanda know how to map devices to directories and vice versa
when needed by dump versus gnutar.

Because dump cannot exclude anything, you must be using gnutar.
And that "./amanda_exclude.txt" file is probably in a directory
not accessible by user amanda.
Amanda needs to read this file to assemble another one with to
be handled over to gnutar.

Instead of specifying a relative path, you may specify an
absolute path pointing to a file that is accessible by the user
amanda.

If you intended to have such a file in each top directory of
each disklistentry, then you may add the "optional" keyword,
and override the exclude list for some of them, using
disklist syntax like this:

some.host.com   /var/cvs    {
        comp-user-tar
        exclude list "/amanda_exclude_cvs.txt"
        }   1

Or even specify the list itself on the server, like this:

some.host.com   /some/dir   {
        comp-user-tar
        exclude "*.bak" "*~"
        exclude append "core"
        exclude append "./test"
        }   1

But when I run a dump, it still backs up my entire CVS tree. Including, however, the directories I entered in the exclude list. So the problem I described doesn't seem to affect amdump, only the planner.

The planner (and amcheck) warn it cannot access the exclude list,
and hence, nothing is excluded.