Amanda-Users

Re: Dumper Timeouts

2005-01-21 11:06:21
Subject: Re: Dumper Timeouts
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: ralf.lebeda AT ezi DOT de
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 16:49:27 +0100
ralf.lebeda AT ezi DOT de wrote:

does anybody have a clue what's going on here at my system:

  sendbackup: info BACKUP=/bin/tar
  sendbackup: info RECOVER_CMD=/bin/tar -f... -
  sendbackup: info end
  ? sendbackup: index tee cannot write [Connection timed out]
  ? index returned 1
  sendbackup: error [/bin/tar got signal 13]

I often see this error messages in the logfile and don't really know why!!!
:-((((

Could someone possibly explain this and give some hints where or what to
search for???

The good news is: you're not the only one seeing this.
The bad news is:  finding the cause is very difficult.

The picture:
When performing a backup, and you have the index option turned on
in the dumptype, then the client forks off an index-tee that collects
the filenames generated by the backup program (dump or gnutar).
That stream of filenames, is postprocessed to make the output uniform
accross all versions of dump and gnutar (actually making it the same
as the earlier versions of dump).  That stream is also piped through
gzip --best, and then send over a tcp socket to the server where it is
stored in the index-directory.

When something goes wrong with that pipe, you get above message.
What can go wrong?  Write error, or disk full on the server; firewall
timing out the tcp-connection for index; gzip errors (gzip can't stand
bad RAM chips :-), or other programs hitting some limit on the client.
The difficulty is the error messages of those programs are not
captured by a mastering amanda process: amandad has already forked
them off.

You may be lucky that some error message got captured in a debug
file on the client (/tmp/amanda/*.debug), or you may see something
on the server (a message in amdump.N would have been reported however).

If you urgently need a backup, and this error gets in the way, just
disable the index option in dumptype for those entries.

I've seen those errors a few times too, a long time ago, but never
could locate the source of the problems.

Any information is still appreciated anyway.