Amanda-Users

Re: Permission problems with LVM

2005-01-19 10:08:04
Subject: Re: Permission problems with LVM
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: Hans van Zijst <hzi AT syncera DOT nl>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 15:48:06 +0100
Hans van Zijst wrote:

Now that I'm switching to Debian Sarge, which uses LVM2 instead of 1, the following problem arises. No matter in what group amanda is and what permissions the lvm special files have, Amanda can't backup directories to which it has no access, according to the permissions set in the filesystem. And because I'm kind of paranoid, this means Amanda can't backup much.

I assume I wouldn't have this problem if I'd use dump, but I can't because I use JFS instead of ext2/3. I'm not going to run Amanda as root (can it even do that?), so I need some other solution.

I believe, LVM2, or lvm special files has nothing to do with using gnutar to backup. (The other way around: using dump with a non
accessible lvm-special file would be a problem.)

And gnutar actually *does* run with root-priviledges, at least, if
installed correctly (see the suid-root runtar binary).

Or do you have problems with "include" directives in the disklist,
that have indeed problems when not running amanda as root?