Amanda-Users

Permission problems with LVM

2005-01-19 07:43:22
Subject: Permission problems with LVM
From: Hans van Zijst <hzi AT syncera DOT nl>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 13:26:01 +0100
Hi,

After having spent several hours in vain searching the Internet for a hint, I hope someone here can help. I know it's not an Amanda specific problem, but I hope someone here has run into the same problem...

I've used Amanda without problems for quite some time. Most machines here run LVM1 (SuSE 9.0), which Amanda can backup just fine as long as the amanda user is in a group that has full access to the lvm special files.

Now that I'm switching to Debian Sarge, which uses LVM2 instead of 1, the following problem arises. No matter in what group amanda is and what permissions the lvm special files have, Amanda can't backup directories to which it has no access, according to the permissions set in the filesystem. And because I'm kind of paranoid, this means Amanda can't backup much.

I assume I wouldn't have this problem if I'd use dump, but I can't because I use JFS instead of ext2/3. I'm not going to run Amanda as root (can it even do that?), so I need some other solution.

Has anyone here run into this problem as well? And more, has it been solved?

Greetings,

Hans