Amanda-Users

Re: Permission problems with LVM

2005-01-19 09:06:15
Subject: Re: Permission problems with LVM
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: Hans van Zijst <hzi AT syncera DOT nl>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 08:41:11 -0500
On Wednesday 19 January 2005 07:26, Hans van Zijst wrote:
>Hi,
>
>After having spent several hours in vain searching the Internet for
> a hint, I hope someone here can help. I know it's not an Amanda
> specific problem, but I hope someone here has run into the same
> problem...
>
>I've used Amanda without problems for quite some time. Most machines
>here run LVM1 (SuSE 9.0), which Amanda can backup just fine as long
> as the amanda user is in a group that has full access to the lvm
> special files.
>
>Now that I'm switching to Debian Sarge, which uses LVM2 instead of
> 1, the following problem arises. No matter in what group amanda is
> and what permissions the lvm special files have, Amanda can't
> backup directories to which it has no access, according to the
> permissions set in the filesystem. And because I'm kind of
> paranoid, this means Amanda can't backup much.
>
>I assume I wouldn't have this problem if I'd use dump, but I can't
>because I use JFS instead of ext2/3. I'm not going to run Amanda as
> root (can it even do that?), so I need some other solution.
>
>Has anyone here run into this problem as well? And more, has it been
> solved?
>
>Greetings,
>
>Hans

First, the normal amanda install is to configure and make it as an
unpriviledged user, like 'amanda'.  This user 'amanda' should be made
a member of the group 'disk' or some similar high ranking operator.

When that make is done, then become root to do the install, and
re-running ldconfig after that is a good idea too.

If thats done, the installer will properly set the permissions and
amanda should be able to backup just about everything.  If this
sequence is not done, then amanda will have all sorts of permissions
problems.

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
by Gene Heskett are: