Amanda-Users

Re: Permission denied on runtar - only when called via amcheck

2004-11-30 16:07:23
Subject: Re: Permission denied on runtar - only when called via amcheck
From: Fran Fabrizio <fran AT cis.uab DOT edu>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 14:58:36 -0600
Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:

--

More generally spoken:

I would really like to know how many requests on this list that at
first look very mysterious break down to FAQ-kind-of-things in the
end.

Ever noticed that?
Well, one of the best things about amanda is that amcheck almost always tells you exactly what's wrong. And even in my case, it was telling me - I just couldn't quite figure out how to translate what it was telling me at first. Honestly, in a year of using Amanda, after reading the FAQs during initial install, I haven't had to go back because amcheck usually told me the problem. I just peeked back at the site - the new documentation that's out there is already a great improvement. :-)

I think that Amanda just has lots of "moving parts" - server config, client config, OS-specific issues, tape changer configuration, optimal cycle settings, etc... and so a lot of problems are going to manifest themselves in bizarre ways through the interaction of the various parts, but then turn out to have simple solutions. I don't think this is necessarily a bad thing, and I hope that my asking here something that turned out to be simple isn't looked at that way - because the next guy is going to search the archives with that message string and solve his problem. :-) I find that to be even more natural than a FAQ.

Thanks,
Fran

--
Fran Fabrizio