Amanda-Users

Re: Permission denied on runtar - only when called via amcheck

2004-11-28 12:34:01
Subject: Re: Permission denied on runtar - only when called via amcheck
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: Fran Fabrizio <fran AT cis.uab DOT edu>
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2004 12:24:27 -0500
On Sunday 28 November 2004 09:18, Fran Fabrizio wrote:
>I'm having an odd problem with runtar on one of my linux clients.
> Here is the ls -l entry for it.  I'm -positive- that the 'amanda'
> user is in the 'amanda' group.
>
>-rwsr-x---    1 root     amanda      13035 Nov 28 08:14 runtar

I checked the perms for that on my only client and got this:
-rwsr-x---  1 root  disk   52817 May 29  2003 /usr/local/libexec/runtar

Thats the latest version I've installed on that box, but its been
running ok since back in 2001 or so.

On both of my boxes, amanda is a member of the group 'disk'

Did you build it as the user 'amanda', then become root to install?
That is the std proceedure that automaticly handles all the perms
correctly.

>When I run amcheck, I get
>
>[can not execute /usr/local/libexec/runtar: Permission denied]
>
>for this client.  However, if I "su - amanda" and then type
>/usr/local/libexec/runtar, I get the usage message so I can run the
>script fine as amanda.  The only way I can make amcheck happy is if
> I "chmod o+x runtar".  Once I do that, everything works fine, but I
> should not have to do that.
>
>/usr/local/libexec is on a local partition, not NFS.
>
>Any ideas?
>
>Thanks,
>Fran

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)