Amanda-Users

Permission denied on runtar - only when called via amcheck

2004-11-28 09:28:02
Subject: Permission denied on runtar - only when called via amcheck
From: Fran Fabrizio <fran AT cis.uab DOT edu>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2004 08:18:43 -0600

I'm having an odd problem with runtar on one of my linux clients. Here is the ls -l entry for it. I'm -positive- that the 'amanda' user is in the 'amanda' group.

-rwsr-x---    1 root     amanda      13035 Nov 28 08:14 runtar

When I run amcheck, I get

[can not execute /usr/local/libexec/runtar: Permission denied]

for this client. However, if I "su - amanda" and then type /usr/local/libexec/runtar, I get the usage message so I can run the script fine as amanda. The only way I can make amcheck happy is if I "chmod o+x runtar". Once I do that, everything works fine, but I should not have to do that. /usr/local/libexec is on a local partition, not NFS.
Any ideas?

Thanks,
Fran