Amanda-Users

Re: Permission denied on runtar - only when called via amcheck

2004-11-29 15:05:50
Subject: Re: Permission denied on runtar - only when called via amcheck
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: Fran Fabrizio <fran AT cis.uab DOT edu>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 15:01:11 -0500
On Monday 29 November 2004 08:35, Fran Fabrizio wrote:
>>Is the amanda user's primary group amanda? If you are using xinetd,
>> you might have to set "groups = yes" to make sure secondary groups
>> are used.
>>
>>Matt
>
>Yep, user 'amanda' has a primary (and only) group of 'amanda'.  I
> did both the build and install as root - another user suggested
> that might be the issue.  I'm not so sure, but I will rebuild as
> user 'amanda' and switch to root for the install as soon as I get
> to the offic

Yes, thats no doubt one of the problems.  If you'll read the docs,
they tell to to add a non-priviledged user and 'amanda' will do, and
then make amanda a member of group disk(or other similarly high
priority user).  Then you must build it as the user you added, but
must then become root to do the make install.

If thats done, then all the perms magicly fall into place.

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
by Gene Heskett are: