Amanda-Users

Re: Problems backup up hde5 (/)

2004-11-02 21:58:56
Subject: Re: Problems backup up hde5 (/)
From: Frank Smith <fsmith AT hoovers DOT com>
To: James Marcinek <jmarc1 AT jemconsult DOT biz>, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 02 Nov 2004 20:54:13 -0600
--On Tuesday, November 02, 2004 22:11:12 +0000 James Marcinek <jmarc1 AT
jemconsult DOT biz> wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> Finally doing the backups. This is my first run and it's on a client. I'm
> having
> a problem backup up the / partition (/dev/hde5). Here's the line in the
> logfile:
>
> FAIL planner domino /dev/hde5 20041102 0 [disk /dev/hde5 offline on domino?]
>
> Here's my disklist entry:
>
>## domino server
> domino /dev/hde5 root-tar

Tar works on filesystems, dump on devices.  Try using your mount point
instead of the device mounted on it ( / in this case).  However, since
the Linux box I tested it on did successfully create a tar file of the
device (not the contents of, just the  /dev/hd entry itself), you may have
permissions problems.
   You might also check your fstab, I've seen some distros use some weird
entries for the root filesystem.  What does yours look like?

Frank