Amanda-Users

Re: Problems backup up hde5 (/)

2004-11-03 16:01:27
Subject: Re: Problems backup up hde5 (/)
From: Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 AT duke DOT edu>
To: James Marcinek <jmarc1 AT jemconsult DOT biz>
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2004 15:32:38 -0500 (EST)
On Wed, 3 Nov 2004 at 8:21pm, James Marcinek wrote

> > You just put the directory name in place of the device, e.g.
> >
> > domino / $DUMPTYPE
>
> OK but if it's the / partion, will it also try to backup the other filesystems
> (such /var, /usr, etc) or do I have to define an exclusion list? The examples

No, it won't.  When using tar, amanda calls it with the
"--one-file-system" flag.

> I've patterned the diskfile showed somthing like the example:
>
> "fatboy /bigmama_BIGDIR /bigmama { # a big subdirectory
> comp-user-tar
> include "./bigdir"
> }"
>
> In this example the $DUMPTYPE is called /bigmama? If I'm not mistaken it looks
> like the definition of the dumptype (in this case /bigmama)is called
> afterward.
> Tell me if I'm interpreting this wrong please. So I could call the dumptype
> whatever I like?

No.  Look in the amanda(8) man page for an explanation of all the fields
in a disklist entry (DLE).  In your example above, the optional field
"diskdevice" (/bigmama) is used.  If it's not used (as in my example) then
it's assumed to be the same as the "diskname", which is / in my example
and /bigmama_BIGDIR in yours.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering