Amanda-Users

Re: New to Amanda- discouraged by some absurd limitations..

2004-05-04 10:54:27
Subject: Re: New to Amanda- discouraged by some absurd limitations..
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 4 May 2004 10:49:44 -0400
On Tue, May 04, 2004 at 06:08:09AM -0700, Stephen Carville wrote:
> On Monday May 03 2004 11:05 pm, Justin Gombos wrote:
> > * Jonathan Dill <jfdill AT jfdill DOT com> [2004-05-02 12:44]:
> > > As others have pointed out, 700 MB CD-R is probably not going to be
> > > adequate for backing up multiple clients across the network anyway.
> >
> > I'll have to figure that out.  I'm having trouble realizing how Amanda
> > behaves.  So far it doesn't look like I can reasonably predict when
> > each file gets backed up.
>
> If a file's time stamp changes it will get backed up on teh next run.  I find
> that pretty simple to predict.
>
> > It seems it can't do a full backup, and
> > then small incrementals that include only changed files.
>
> That is exactly what it does:  A full backup of the data within each
> dumpcycle
> and all changed data is backed up between full dumps.

JG may have been refering to another definition of "incremental" that
has been asked about on this list a few times.  Amanda's incrementals
include all files that have changed since the last higher level dump.
The other style seems to skip files that have not changed since the
last same or higher level dump.  (Read "higher" as numerically lower)

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)