Amanda-Users

Re: New to Amanda- discouraged by some absurd limitations..

2004-05-02 14:48:16
Subject: Re: New to Amanda- discouraged by some absurd limitations..
From: Justin Gombos <mindfuq AT zianet DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Sun, 2 May 2004 12:44:16 -0600
* Jonathan Dill <jfdill AT jfdill DOT com> [2004-05-02 10:27]:
> Use FILE-DRIVER and wait until you have enough files to fill up the
> CD-R.  Or use CD-RW as your "tapes" and keep several that you can rotate
> and re-use.

Maybe the file-driver will suffice.. I'll have to look into that.

> IMHO this was rather rude way to bring up the issue,

First of all, I did not know whether this was an issue, that's why I
posted here.  It was certainly proper to raise an Amanda
issue/question to the amanda-users mailing list.

OTOH-- if you want to talk about etiquette, you should try not to
ignore the mail-followup-to header on mailing list posts.

> Why not just look for some other software if you didn't like it?  No
> one held a gun to your head and made you use amanda.  freshmeat.net
> lists several other packages specifically geared to making backups
> to CD-R as you describe.  amanda is geared to backing up large
> networks, like Veritas or Legato without the very expensive
> licenses.  You can get it to work for a small, single computer, but
> it was not designed to do that, hence it may well not be the best
> tool for that job, nor does it promise to be.

If you know of a multi-client GNU backup tool that both works over the
network and is also uses the target media intelligently, please
advise.  Otherwise, someone might as well be holding a gun to my head
forcing me to use Amanda, because it seems to be the closest tool for
meeting this requirement.  The other tools I've studied lack the
automated across network ability.