Amanda-Users

Re: New to Amanda- discouraged by some absurd limitations..

2004-05-02 15:35:10
Subject: Re: New to Amanda- discouraged by some absurd limitations..
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Sun, 2 May 2004 15:33:09 -0400
On Sun, May 02, 2004 at 12:44:16PM -0600, Justin Gombos wrote:

> > IMHO this was rather rude way to bring up the issue,
>
> First of all, I did not know whether this was an issue, that's why I
> posted here.  It was certainly proper to raise an Amanda
> issue/question to the amanda-users mailing list.

The rude part was not your posting a question about the design of amanda
to this list.  The rudeness came when you described an aspect of amanda
as "incredibly stupid" in your first posting to a list that contains
among it membership several people who have contributed to amanda's
development.  Few people like to hear their work described as stupid.
Particularly by someone who doesn't know what they are talking about.

> OTOH-- if you want to talk about etiquette, you should try not to
> ignore the mail-followup-to header on mailing list posts.

I just looked back at your original post.  I see no header directing
followups anywhere.  Jonathan knows that many posters, particularly
new posters, do not subscribe to the list.  It is not a requirement
for posting.  Thus as a courtesy to you he sent a copy to you as well
as to the list.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)