Amanda-Users

Re: New to Amanda- discouraged by some absurd limitations..

2004-05-02 15:34:43
Subject: Re: New to Amanda- discouraged by some absurd limitations..
From: Jonathan Dill <jfdill AT jfdill DOT com>
To: Justin Gombos <mindfuq AT zianet DOT com>
Date: Sun, 02 May 2004 15:31:31 -0400
Justin Gombos wrote:

First of all, I did not know whether this was an issue, that's why I
posted here.  It was certainly proper to raise an Amanda
issue/question to the amanda-users mailing list.
Asking, "Can amanda do X?" is one thing, but to complain of "an absurd limitation" is, frankly, insulting, unless that was a bad translation of something from another language.

OTOH-- if you want to talk about etiquette, you should try not to
ignore the mail-followup-to header on mailing list posts.
I don't see how the use of insulting language is equal to whether my e-mail client correctly handles "mail-followup-to" headers.

If you know of a multi-client GNU backup tool that both works over the
network and is also uses the target media intelligently, please
advise.  Otherwise, someone might as well be holding a gun to my head
forcing me to use Amanda, because it seems to be the closest tool for
meeting this requirement.  The other tools I've studied lack the
automated across network ability.
As others have pointed out, 700 MB CD-R is probably not going to be adequate for backing up multiple clients across the network anyway. By "GNU" do you mean "covered under the terms of the Gnu Public License"? Are you opposed to other free, or "free to use but restricted" licensing? Is the point that you want something free or very cheap, hence would not consider something like Arkeia?

--jonathan