Amanda-Users

Re: New to Amanda- discouraged by some absurd limitations..

2004-05-04 02:07:27
Subject: Re: New to Amanda- discouraged by some absurd limitations..
From: Justin Gombos <mindfuq AT zianet DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 4 May 2004 00:05:06 -0600
* Jonathan Dill <jfdill AT jfdill DOT com> [2004-05-02 12:44]:
> As others have pointed out, 700 MB CD-R is probably not going to be
> adequate for backing up multiple clients across the network anyway.

I'll have to figure that out.  I'm having trouble realizing how Amanda
behaves.  So far it doesn't look like I can reasonably predict when
each file gets backed up.  It seems it can't do a full backup, and
then small incrementals that include only changed files.

> By "GNU" do you mean "covered under the terms of the Gnu Public
> License"?  Are you opposed to other free, or "free to use but
> restricted" licensing?  Is the point that you want something free or
> very cheap, hence would not consider something like Arkeia?

I subscribe to the Richard Stallman FSF.org philosophies, and prefer
software that is no only free of charge, but also open source and with
freedom to alter.  I don't necessarily need those features in this
case, but I try to support the movement whenever practical.  This is
what attracts me to Amanda.