Amanda-Users

Re: New to Amanda- discouraged by some absurd limitations..

2004-05-04 05:46:11
Subject: Re: New to Amanda- discouraged by some absurd limitations..
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 4 May 2004 05:43:42 -0400
On Tuesday 04 May 2004 02:05, Justin Gombos wrote:
>* Jonathan Dill <jfdill AT jfdill DOT com> [2004-05-02 12:44]:
>> As others have pointed out, 700 MB CD-R is probably not going to
>> be adequate for backing up multiple clients across the network
>> anyway.
>
>I'll have to figure that out.  I'm having trouble realizing how
> Amanda behaves.  So far it doesn't look like I can reasonably
> predict when each file gets backed up.  It seems it can't do a full
> backup, and then small incrementals that include only changed
> files.

Generally speaking, thats because amanda is trying to arrive at a
balance so equal amounts of tape are used for each regularly
scheduled session.

But, some have setup two configurations, one that runs weekly and is
forced to do fulls on everything in the disklist, and one that runs
during the week that does the incrementals.  I do not do that here,
so I'l let someone that is doing that explain it better than I can.

>> By "GNU" do you mean "covered under the terms of the Gnu Public
>> License"?  Are you opposed to other free, or "free to use but
>> restricted" licensing?  Is the point that you want something free
>> or very cheap, hence would not consider something like Arkeia?
>
>I subscribe to the Richard Stallman FSF.org philosophies, and prefer
>software that is no only free of charge, but also open source and
> with freedom to alter.  I don't necessarily need those features in
> this case, but I try to support the movement whenever practical.
> This is what attracts me to Amanda.

Its a good subscription IMO.

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
by Gene Heskett are: