Amanda-Users

Re: amdump: request timed out.. already read FAQ & troubleshooting

2004-05-04 05:29:01
Subject: Re: amdump: request timed out.. already read FAQ & troubleshooting
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: Kris Vassallo <kris AT linuxcertified DOT com>
Date: Tue, 04 May 2004 11:25:02 +0200
Kris Vassallo wrote:

I am still having a hell of a time getting this to work. I have
increased the etimeout to 5000. Now, I am getting other errors and I
can't figure out why. I have attached the kitchen sink in hopes that
someone will be able to see what I have done wrong in configuration
somewhere. I have 469 GB free on the backup disk, this can't be a size
issue. And as for the error below of the holding disk being full... it
doesn't make sense. I am backing up to hard disk and the holding disk
for that backup type is set to no. This is starting to make me miss
tapeware :(

You didn't include the server log file.
But anyway, I found the error message "index tee cannot write".
This seems to come up now and then with some people.  I've never
found the cause.  A (temporary) workaround is to disable the

You have now configured for "compress best".  I hope you realize, than
you win only a few percent in space, but the "compress best" takes
much, much more time (double? tripple?).  Maybe this excessive
time is related to your index crashing problem?

Also, because the estimate takes very long (over 7000 seconds!)
and you only do full backups, you could suppress the estimate
for a level one.

Use a dumptype like this maybe:

define dumptype allways-full {
         program "GNUTAR"
         index no               # until found out what makes this crash
         compress client fast   # space efficent, but still fast
         dumpcycle 0            # all ways level 0
         skip-incr yes          # and never incrementals
         strategy noinc         # not even for estimates
}