Amanda-Users

Re: How can I split up a large disk partition?

2004-02-05 07:54:48
Subject: Re: How can I split up a large disk partition?
From: stan <stanb AT panix DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2004 07:49:45 -0500
On Tue, Feb 03, 2004 at 07:23:20PM -0500, Joshua Baker-LePain wrote:
> On Tue, 3 Feb 2004 at 7:16pm, stan wrote
>
> > I've got a couple of 120G disk that contain files in a serries of
> > directories. I need to split these up to allow my DLT40 tape to back up
> > smaller checks.
> >
> > What I have in mind is something like this:
> >
> > /foo/bar/[A-J]*
> > /foo/bar/[K-z]*
> >
> > But if I put that in the disklist file amcheck says it's invalid.
> >
> > Is there any way I can acomplish this?
>
> This is a *very* frequently asked question (in fact we just finished a
> thread on this).  The list archives should be rife with examples (as is
> the disklist included in the amanda tarball).  If those don't help you
> out, come on back with your disklist file and the exact errors you're
> getting.

OK, I tried to get this set up, but I must be missing something On last
nights run Amanda failed to backup all of these new "disk" entries. It
thought they were all larger  than the tape, which the whole partitons are,
but the subsets I defined ate not.

Here's what amstatus had to say while running:

Script started on Thu Feb  5 06:25:13 2004
$ amstatus DailyDump
Using /usr/local/amanda/var/DailyDump/amdump from Thu Feb  5 00:45:01 EST 2004

black:ad0s1a   0    18781k finished (1:02:44)
black:ad0s1f   0     1386k finished (1:01:23)
black:ad0s1g   1    13591k finished (1:06:13)
black:ad6s1e   0 18086197k writing to tape (3:37:32)
black:ads1e/ak 0 planner: [dump larger than tape, 25191930 KB, but cannot
incremental dump new disk]
black:ads1e/kz 0 planner: [dump larger than tape, 25191930 KB, but cannot
incremental dump new disk]
black:ads2e/ak 0 planner: [dump larger than tape, 20386670 KB, but cannot
incremental dump new disk]
black:ads2e/kz 0 planner: [dump larger than tape, 20386670 KB, but cannot
incremental dump new disk]

Note that for the 2 disks in question, both partial backusp claim identical
size. I beileve that is because they are assuming the size of the entire
partion.

here are my new disklist entries:

# black
black ad0s1a comp-user 1 local
black ad0s1f comp-user 1 local
black ad0s1g comp-user 1 local
# black ad1s1e comp-user-no-compress 2 local
black ads1e/ak ad1s1e {
        include "./[A-K]*"
        exclude "./[L-z]*"
        user-tar-no-compress
        } 2 local
black ads1e/kz ad1s1e {
        include "./[L-z]*"
        user-tar-no-compress
        } 2 local
# black ad2s1e comp-user-no-compress 3 local
black ads2e/ak ad2s1e {
        include "./[A-K]*"
        exclude "./[L-z]*"
        user-tar-no-compress
        } 3 local
black ads2e/kz ad2s1e {
        include "./[L-z]*"
        user-tar-no-compress
        } 3 local
black ad6s1e comp-user 4 local

And here is teh dumptupe definition:

define dumptype root-tar {
    program "GNUTAR"
    comment "root partitions dumped with tar"
    compress none
    exclude list "/usr/local/lib/amanda/exclude.gtar"
    priority low
}

define dumptype user-tar-no-compress {
    compress none
    root-tar
    comment "user partitions dumped with tar"
    priority medium
}

What did I do wrong?

neither liberty nor safety."