Amanda-Users

Re: How can I split up a large disk partition?

2004-02-05 09:25:00
Subject: Re: How can I split up a large disk partition?
From: Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 AT duke DOT edu>
To: stan <stanb AT panix DOT com>
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2004 09:21:16 -0500 (EST)
On Thu, 5 Feb 2004 at 9:02am, stan wrote

> On Thu, Feb 05, 2004 at 08:03:16AM -0500, Joshua Baker-LePain wrote:
> > On Thu, 5 Feb 2004 at 7:49am, stan wrote
> >
> > > Note that for the 2 disks in question, both partial backusp claim
> > > identical
> > > size. I beileve that is because they are assuming the size of the entire
> > > partion.
> > >
> > > # black ad1s1e comp-user-no-compress 2 local
> > > black ads1e/ak ad1s1e {
> > >   include "./[A-K]*"
> > >   exclude "./[L-z]*"
> > >   user-tar-no-compress
> > >   } 2 local
> > > black ads1e/kz ad1s1e {
> > >   include "./[L-z]*"
> > >   user-tar-no-compress
> > >   } 2 local
> > >
> > > And here is teh dumptupe definition:
> > >
> > > define dumptype root-tar {
> > >     program "GNUTAR"
> > >     comment "root partitions dumped with tar"
> > >     compress none
> > >     exclude list "/usr/local/lib/amanda/exclude.gtar"
> > >     priority low
> > > }
> > >
> > > define dumptype user-tar-no-compress {
> > >     compress none
> > >     root-tar
> > >     comment "user partitions dumped with tar"
> > >     priority medium
> > > }
> >
> > The short answer is that order matters.  In your disklist entries (DLEs),
> > you specify include, exclude, and then the dumptype.  But the dumptype
> > specifies its own exclude (list).  In amanda(8), in the part about
> > 'exclude' in the dumptype section, it states that "With  the append
> > keyword, the string are appended to the current value of the list, without
> > it, the string overwrite the list."  IOW, the 'exclude list' line in the
> > dumptype is overriding the include and exclude directives in your DLEs.
> >
> > So, change your DLEs to specify the dumptype first.  Then your include and
> > exclude directives will override those in the dumptype.
> >

> I'm confused. The dumptype is defined in amanda.conf, and only the disks to
> backup are defined in the disklist file. I assume that amanda.conf is read
> first, right? The disks are shown in my email in the oreder that they
> appear in the disklists file.
>
> Sould I just remove the exclude file line in the dumptape?

You could, and that would fix it, but you should understand what's going
on.  Yes, amanda.conf is read first.  But that's not what I was saying
above.  For each DLE, you specify a dumptype.  You can do that simply, by
just using one that's in amanda.conf.  Or you can put an entirely new one
in braces.  In those braces, just as in amanda.conf, you can include
previously-defined dumptypes.

Read through one of your DLEs line by line, applying directives.
In the first one, you 'include "./[A-K]*"', then 'exclude "./[L-z]*"', and
then you have the entry for the dumptype.  Logically, amanda continues
parsing the DLE by parsing the dumptype you specified.  So your whole DLE
looks like this to amanda:

black ads1e/ak ad1s1e {
   include "./[A-K]*"
   exclude "./[L-z]*"
   compress none                             #NOTE - user-tar starts here
   program "GNUTAR"                          #...and includes root-tar here
   comment "root partitions dumped with tar"
   compress none
   exclude list "/usr/local/lib/amanda/exclude.gtar"
   priority low                              #root-tar ends here
   comment "user partitions dumped with tar" #this is the rest of user-tar
   priority medium
} 2 local

The 'exlude list', coming after the 'exclude', overrides it.  If, in those
braces, you specified user-tar-no-compress before your include and exclude
directives, then your 'exclude' would override the 'exclude list'.

Make any more sense?

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering