Amanda-Users

Barcode readers: how important?

2003-11-25 10:57:42
Subject: Barcode readers: how important?
From: Fran Fabrizio <fran AT cis.uab DOT edu>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: 25 Nov 2003 09:55:10 -0600
I'm newly entering the area of large-scale backup operations, and I have
an option to add a barcode reader to our tape library system that we
will be ordering (Qualstar TLS-5433 SAIT).  I'm wondering how important
it is to have a barcode reader on the tape library?  The way I
understand it (shaky, at best) is that Amanda writes a label to the
front of each tape, and that if you have barcodes on your tapes, it
maintains a mapping table between the two.  Seems like an extra step to
me, so the barcodes must have some benefit from a human-convenience
point of view, as opposed to Amanda itself.  Frankly, I'd rather not
spend the money as long as I don't regret it later.  Thoughts?

Thanks,
Fran