Amanda-Users

Re: Barcode readers: how important?

2003-11-25 11:31:26
Subject: Re: Barcode readers: how important?
From: Alexander Jolk <alexj AT buf DOT com>
To: Fran Fabrizio <fran AT cis.uab DOT edu>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 17:28:02 +0100
> the barcodes must have some benefit from a human-convenience
> point of view, as opposed to Amanda itself.

I found barcode labels to be very useful if you have other (non-amanda)
tapes in the library.  We use our reader for the occasional archive by
hand, and it is very reassuring to see, in the mtx listing,
human-readable labels.

I understand that tape changing is also a somewhat faster process if
barcode labels are used because it doesn't need to do a load-read-unload
cycle for every tape, but I'm not sure about that.

Alex

--
Alexander Jolk         /         BUF Compagnie
tel +33-1 42 68 18 28 /  fax +33-1 42 68 18 29