Amanda-Users

Re: Barcode readers: how important?

2003-11-25 11:59:51
Subject: Re: Barcode readers: how important?
From: Alexander Jolk <alexj AT buf DOT com>
To: Fran Fabrizio <fran AT cis.uab DOT edu>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 17:58:42 +0100
> Next question:  They want $250 for 300 barcode labels.  That seems
> excessive.  Can these be made/obtained more reasonably?

You can most probably make these yourself.  Our library, a Dell
PowerVault 132-T, reads `code39' labels without problems (that is, once
you know what orientation to stick them...)  See the FAQ-o-matic for a
script.  You'd need GNU barcode, sticky labels, and a little
experimenting for that to work; the whole thing took me perhaps an hour
and a half.  (Plus the time to figure out what orientation to stick them
on the tapes.  Did I mention that you shouldn't stick them upside down
onto the tapes?)

Moreover, that way you can use whatever barcode strings strike your
fancy (uppercase, numbers and hyphens only), like `same as amanda
label'.

Alex

--
Alexander Jolk         /         BUF Compagnie
tel +33-1 42 68 18 28 /  fax +33-1 42 68 18 29