Amanda-Users

RE: Barcode readers: how important?

2003-11-25 11:53:02
Subject: RE: Barcode readers: how important?
From: Fran Fabrizio <fran AT cis.uab DOT edu>
To: donald.ritchey AT exeloncorp DOT com
Date: 25 Nov 2003 10:51:30 -0600
On Tue, 2003-11-25 at 10:31, donald.ritchey AT exeloncorp DOT com wrote:
> How many tapes do you manage?  If the number is under 50 to 100 (depending

Right now, it's not likely to exceed 20-25.  It's a system we hope to
"grow into". :-)

> But, if you do the sensible thing, sending some subset of your tapes offsite
> for disaster recovery purposes, then the barcodes become necessary to ensure
> that you and/or Amanda can then reload the library without having to reread
> every tape on reinsertion into the library.

This is definitely in our plans - our administrative person has already
been tasked with securing an offsite lockbox for the purpose.  This is a
good enough reason to have the barcode reader for me.

Next question:  They want $250 for 300 barcode labels.  That seems
excessive.  Can these be made/obtained more reasonably?

Thanks,
Fran