Amanda-Users

Re: Barcode readers: how important?

2003-11-25 12:18:42
Subject: Re: Barcode readers: how important?
From: Anthony Valentine <amv AT sbsalaska DOT com>
To: Alexander Jolk <alexj AT buf DOT com>, Amanda Users <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 08:17:21 -0900
On Tue, 2003-11-25 at 07:58, Alexander Jolk wrote:
> > Next question:  They want $250 for 300 barcode labels.  That seems
> > excessive.  Can these be made/obtained more reasonably?
>
> You can most probably make these yourself.  Our library, a Dell
> PowerVault 132-T, reads `code39' labels without problems (that is, once
> you know what orientation to stick them...)  See the FAQ-o-matic for a
> script.  You'd need GNU barcode, sticky labels, and a little

Oddly enough, my tape library cannot read barcodes made by GNU barcode.
I don't know why, since I can read them fine with a hand held scanner.
I guess my library is just very picky about it's barcodes. . .  Anyway,
my point is that if you are having trouble getting printed barcodes to
work, before you give up, try a different program to make them.  We
ended up using 'FormTools' for windows.