Amanda-Users

Have 2.4.4p1 RAIT over file: working sort of...

2003-11-17 04:00:50
Subject: Have 2.4.4p1 RAIT over file: working sort of...
From: "Dana Bourgeois" <em-lists AT netgods DOT us>
To: <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 00:57:59 -0800
The good news is that its really easy to set up the RAIT with three disks.
The bad news is that taper complains about not finding an Amanda tape which
is like totally bogus because I read the label(s) myself.  Can someone who
knows the code help me figure this out?  See the last section below for
errors.

I will include the relevant config files and the error message.  I'd really
like to get this working.

Dana Bourgeois

=========   Amanda.conf
#
# amanda.conf - sample Amanda configuration file.  This started off life as
#               the actual config file in use at CS.UMD.EDU.

org "daily"             # your organization name for reports
dumpuser "amanda"       # the user to run dumps under
inparallel 4            # maximum dumpers that will run in parallel
netusage  100000        # maximum net bandwidth for Amanda, in KB per sec
dumpcycle 1 weeks       # the number of days in the normal dump cycle
runspercycle 5 days    # the number of amdump runs in dumpcycle days
tapecycle 7 tapes       # the number of tapes in rotation
bumpsize 20 Mb          # minimum savings (threshold) to bump level 1 -> 2
bumpdays 1              # minimum days at each level
bumpmult 4              # threshold = bumpsize * bumpmult^(level-1)
etimeout 300            # number of seconds per filesystem for estimates.
runtapes 1              # number of tapes to be used in a single run of
amdump
tpchanger "chg-rait"    # This one stripes across multiple changers
changerfile "/var/lib/amanda/config/rait-changer.conf"
tapetype file           # what kind of tape it is (see tapetypes below)
labelstr "^daily[0-9][0-9]*$"   # label constraint regex: all tapes must
match
infofile "/var/lib/amanda/daily1/curinfo"       # database filename
logdir   "/var/lib/amanda/daily1"               # log directory
indexdir "/var/lib/amanda/daily1/index"         # index directory
# Dumpers write to the holding disk, taper reads from the holding disk.
holdingdisk hd1 {
    comment "main holding disk"
    directory "/backup1/holding"        # where the holding disk is
    use -10 Gb         # how much space can we use on it
                        # a negative value means use all space except
<value>
    }
holdingdisk hd2 {
    comment "main holding disk"
    directory "/backup2/holding"        # where the holding disk is
    use -10 Gb         # how much space can we use on it
                        # a negative value means use all space except
<value>
    }

# tapetype
define tapetype file {
    comment "File on large disk"
    length 15 gb
    filemark 0 kbytes
    speed 10000 kbytes
}

define dumptype global {
    comment "Global definitions"
    index yes
    compress client fast        # can be 'none'
    program "GNUTAR"
    maxdumps 1
}

define dumptype tar-compress {
    global
    comment "Dump of my systems"
}

# network interfaces
define interface local {
    comment "a local disk"
    use 10000 kbps
}

define interface eth0 {
    comment "100 Mbps ethernet"
    use 1000 kbps
}

=========     rait-changer.conf
# chg-rait config file
#
# This assumes we have rait-striped drives in several
# other amanda changer configs.

   nchangers=3

# Changer #1
   tpchanger_1="chg-multi"
   changerfile_1="/etc/amanda/daily1/changer1.conf"

# Changer #2
   tpchanger_2="chg-multi"
   changerfile_2="/etc/amanda/daily1/changer2.conf"

# Changer #3
   tpchanger_3="chg-multi"
   changerfile_3="/etc/amanda/daily1/changer3.conf"

=========     changer1.conf
# config file for the chg-multi tape changer program.
# Used when tpchanger "chg-multi" is specified in amanda.conf.

multieject 0
gravity 0
needeject 0
ejectdelay 0
statefile /etc/amanda/daily1/changer-status1
firstslot 1
lastslot 15
slot  1 file:/backup1/daily01
slot  2 file:/backup1/daily02
slot  3 file:/backup1/daily03
slot  4 file:/backup1/daily04
slot  5 file:/backup1/daily05
slot  6 file:/backup1/daily06
slot  7 file:/backup1/daily07
slot  8 file:/backup1/daily08
slot  9 file:/backup1/daily09
slot 10 file:/backup1/daily10
slot 11 file:/backup1/daily11
slot 12 file:/backup1/daily12
slot 13 file:/backup1/daily13
slot 14 file:/backup1/daily14
slot 15 file:/backup1/daily15

===========  changer2 and 3 conf files
The same as changer1.conf except the status file is changer-status2 and
changer-status3 respectively AND the tapes for changer 2 are on /backup2
while the tapes for changer 3 are on /backup3.

===========     OK, Errors
1. amlabel labels the tapes but then doesn't rewind them.  I wrote a little
script to do that for me since all that is required is to muck with the info
file.  Once I labelled and rewound the tapes, amtape and amlabel acted
normally.  For example, during the amdump taper reported:

taper: slot 4: date X        label daily04 (exact label match)

2. when I ran amdump, the taper complained and wouldn't write.  Here's the
error line:

driver: result time 484.574 from taper: TAPE-ERROR [not an amanda tape]

3. Ahh...OK.  Found something!!  I thought it was just the initial labelling
of a new tape that was not rewinding but amcheck and amlable both don't
rewind, even when they say they will.  If I run amlabel after my rewinding
program, it acts normally but if I run it a second time the info file
reports position 2 and amlabel reports it can't find the label and errors.
This might be the problem with amdump but I'm too burned out to work on this
anymore.