Amanda-Users

Re: Spanning multiple tapes

2003-11-17 22:11:19
Subject: Re: Spanning multiple tapes
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 22:09:52 -0500
On Monday 17 November 2003 20:52, Jon LaBadie wrote:
>On Mon, Nov 17, 2003 at 06:19:53AM -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> ... .  And I hear it changing to the
>> third tape right now. (slow DDS2 drive ):
>
>My quick and dirty calcs suggest there are no "slow" tapes.
>It seems to me that every format takes about 3 - 3.5 hrs
>to write a full tape.  The amount per tape varies with the
>format, but the time to write a tape seems to vary little.
>
>jl

Agreed.  That means a dds2 runs at about 380k/s.  Once tape writing
starts here, taper itself uses about .25% of the cpu, its simply a
non-combatant in the cpu wars.

Still no lucrative work, damn. :(

Here, I've decided that I'd like to do about as much with metal as I
do wood, so in the last year I've picked up a micro-mill, a roughly
100 lb table topper, and just recently a small 7x12 metal lathe.
I'm still collecting tool bits and such for both, currently I've been
using carbide tipped router bits in the mill, finding they work quit
well if not pushed too hard.  Push too hard, and pieces of carbide go
flying.

I found that out while carving a shield for the bottom of the scope on
my black powder gun.  It has so much blowback out of the primer area
that I'm told it can burn up the middle section of even high priced
scopes, and I think I've already burned up a cheap one.  So the old
scope, a 7.5x Leupold that had been on old meat in the pot for 35
years got moved to it last week too, and a new 4.5-14x Leupold I'd
picked up while in CO went on old meat in the pot.  Old meat in the
pot being a P17 Enfield (Eddystone manufacture, supposedly the bad
one.  Yeah, sure, its on its third barrel now) that I installed in a
fresh bed of laminated walnut, thumbhole style, about that same 35
years back.  Anyway, it should be ready for deer season next week,
doing its usual 2" groups.

The charcoal burner however isn't doing well at all, I think due to a
basic design flaw in the ignition system, so I was seeing if I could
make some difference in that tonight.  Even using shotgun primers to
light it off, there is occasionally a very noticable lag between the
bolt/fireing pin comeing down, and the actual boom.  Half a second at
least 3 times in 13 shots today.  If what I did to the bolt face
tonight doesn't help, that puppy will find a new home, or go back to
Tompson Center.  Their newest one is a heck of a lot better design,
and totally weatherproof when loaded and capped.  This ones
borderline and could probably get wet enough to decommission it.

The only diff between men and boys....

AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M
by Gene Heskett are: