Amanda-Users

Re: Spanning multiple tapes

2003-11-17 04:34:39
Subject: Re: Spanning multiple tapes
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: Danny Ybarra <dannyybarra AT yahoo DOT com>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 10:32:33 +0100
Danny Ybarra wrote:

I found this statement in the WHATS.NEW file.  Can you
explain what it means?  Sorry for being such a newbie
but I really want to start using Amanda.

* MULTIPLE TAPES IN ONE RUN
[ ... ]

Funny that I'm always pointing people to read the files in the docs/
directory, while only now I notice the WHATS.NEW is rather old.
It should have been nice if the items in the file were marked with
a version number for which the item applies.

Current status (2.4.4p1) is that multiple tapes are fully supported.
Using more tapes is done by using a changer glue script.  There are
different changer scripts. Some are for real changers (chg-scsi,
chg-zd-mtx,...).
You can also use a human changer if you only one tape device (chg-manual). Or you can view multiple tape drives as a changer
with the chg-multi script.
There is even an feature called "RAIT", where you can stripe your
backups simultaneously over multiple tapes, include a redundancy
stripe, just like RAID for disks.

If you have only one tapedrive and no "human" changer available at dump
time, but you do have a large holdingdisk, you can dump to one tape at
night, keeping the overflow on disk, and flushing it to tape in the
morning.

May I point you to some new feature to help fill the tapes to 100%:
see "taperalgo" and some explanation to get it to work decently:

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=amanda-users&m=106277015010167&w=2

(Gene: the above link explains how to avoid the behaviour you're seeing
in your setup.)