Amanda-Users

Re: Spanning multiple tapes

2003-11-17 05:52:56
Subject: Re: Spanning multiple tapes
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: Danny Ybarra <dannyybarra AT yahoo DOT com>, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 05:52:02 -0500
On Monday 17 November 2003 00:50, Danny Ybarra wrote:
>I found this statement in the WHATS.NEW file.  Can you
>explain what it means?  Sorry for being such a newbie
>but I really want to start using Amanda.
>
>* MULTIPLE TAPES IN ONE RUN
>
>I've rewritten the taper - it now supports one run
>spanning multiple tapes if you have a tape-changer.
>The necessary changes in support of this have also
>been made to driver and reporter - planner already had
>support.  There are a couple other places that should
>probably be updated, like amcheck.

This has not yet been done as amcheck only checks for the first tape
it might need.  That makes the assumption (bad) that one is well
enough organized to have at least the next "runtapes" needed loaded
into the magazine before the run, something I have many hours
available to do.  I've not felt that fixing amcheck to survey the
magazine would be a high ppriority item as that would multiply the
wear and tear on both the tapes as they were being changed, and on
the robotics doing the changing by the runtapes value +1 as it would
need to reset the next tape back into the drive after verifying that
runtapes was available.

>  Dumps are not
>split across tapes - when taper runs into the end of a
>tape,
>it loads the next tape and tells driver to try sending
>the dump again.

This is why each DLE must be smaller than a tape, otherwise it would
keep trying on a fresh tape, and failing to the next tape, until you
were out of tape, either in the magazine or in your runtapes
specification. :(

>If you are feeling brave, set "runtapes" to something
>other than 1.

This is precisely what I said, and what I'm doing right this instant.

My runtapes is currently set to 3, and its automaticly working on the
second tape, and I expect it to go on to the third before this run is
done.

And with a little luck ny extra script may have enough room on the
last tape to store the indices as they exist at the end of this
amdump run.  This is something I'm doing thats extra, basicly so that
if I have to do a bare metal recovery, I can go get the last file on
the tape and restore the indexes etc to the current values, not
yesterdays as is elsewhere on the tape.

What I'm doing right now is playing catchup after installing a new
drive, which made everything need a level 0.  I'll change the tapes
that have been used, and from the looks of the status report, it
should catch up in tomorrows run, at which point I can reset runtapes
back to one, and reduce the dumpcycle by one day at least, possibly
2.

This has been an educational experience for me, and has managed to
point out an aspect of the planner utility that could use some
tweaking to improve its efficiency.  Not a show stopper, but one of
those "it would be nice if it did this" features that I mentioned in
a previous post. :)

>The new taper also keeps the tape open the entire time
>it is writing the files out - no more having amchecks
>or other accesses/rewinds in the middle of the run
>screw you royally if they hit when the tape is closed
>for writing a filemark.

Which is good.  I did edit the crontab to make the amcheck run take
place in the late afternoon though as I did think of that
possibility.

>--- Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net> wrote:

[...]

AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M
by Gene Heskett are: