Amanda-Users

Re: Spanning multiple tapes

2003-11-16 22:38:51
Subject: Re: Spanning multiple tapes
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: Danny Ybarra <dannyybarra AT yahoo DOT com>, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2003 22:37:42 -0500
On Sunday 16 November 2003 22:21, Danny Ybarra wrote:
>Ok I'm confused then.  If you have a list of entries
>in your list how do you tell amanda what entries go on
>what tape if you have a autoloader?

You don't, thats all up to the 'planner'.  You can hint as to how its
supposed to order things a wee bit by use of the 'dumporder'
directive in your amanda.conf.

>Also will it just prompt you to put another tape in if you
>are using a single HP DAT drive?

Possibly one of the changer scripts, like chg-manual, might do this.
Here I use chg-scsi, and its totally silent at the console, sending
you an email if something goes toes up.  As amanda is designed to be
run in the middle of the night by cron, it really doesn't expect
there to be a human 'lifeguard' around in case something gets a tummy
ache.  So it handles the errors it knows howto handle, or sends you
an email so you can handle it the next day and then goes silently
away.