Amanda-Users

Re: Problem configuring amanda before compiling

2003-11-11 15:13:50
Subject: Re: Problem configuring amanda before compiling
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: "Dana Bourgeois" <em-lists AT netgods DOT us>, <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 15:11:26 -0500
On Tuesday 11 November 2003 14:09, Dana Bourgeois wrote:
>Gene, no QIC drive and amcheck ran fine.  Thank you for responding
> on this point.

Good.

>Re: your previous post about making and installing Amanda.  I know
> the rule of thumb is to 'make install' as root but the Amanda
> INSTALL file doesn't say that.  I think that should be fixed and
> I'll be happy to send in a proposed change if someone will tell me
> where it should go.

Yes, I'm somewhat surprised that this has not made it to the INSTALL
file.

>Second thing is that if one does run 'make install' non-root, it
> runs just fine but the installer can't change the owner which
> screws up the SUID stuff.  It wouldn't be too hard to fix this
> either and again, I'll be happy to forward a proposed change.
> Probably just a check that the EUID is root before running the
> first command.

OTOH, if you become root, one can fix all the owner:group stuff to
match the rest of the system in one swell foop, and a rerun of the
make install will then fix the rest of it.  IMO not a lot of trouble,
it can all be fixed in 30 seconds, and it teaches us to do it right
the next time...

>Lastly, a SUID script that fixes up the permissions if they get
> hosed would be a nice addition to the package and in fact, there is
> probabaly a lot of other sanity checking and correction that could
> be bundled into it over time.  If this idea has some backing, I'll
> take a shot at this one also. Basically I'd pull the stuff from the
> 'make install' into a separate script that could be put into
> 'libexec'.

See above.

>Dana Bourgeois

[...]