Amanda-Users

Re: Answering questions about Amanda on RedHat 7.0

2003-11-11 15:18:59
Subject: Re: Answering questions about Amanda on RedHat 7.0
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: "Dana Bourgeois" <em-lists AT netgods DOT us>, <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 15:16:21 -0500
On Tuesday 11 November 2003 14:38, Dana Bourgeois wrote:
>I recently posted a question about my attempts to get 2.4.4p1
> running on a RedHat 7.0 box.  I probably didn't mention that the
> plan was to go tapeless. This project didn't work and I can explain
> exactly why so others won't bump into the same wall I did.
>
>2.4.4p1 compiles just fine on RedHat 7.0 which is a 2.2 kernel.
> This kernel doesn't have big file support.  The file: device also
> works great.  The problem is that while you can create large
> *tapes* on disk, you can't write large *tape files* on the tape
> since it is created in a file system that has a 2G limit.
>
>I actually ran into this with the holding disk but used the
> chunksize workaround to get past it without giving thought to what
> that meant later in the process when taper was running....  I guess
> I was too close to the problem and the errors pointed in lots of
> other places.  It wasn't until a coworker was asking about the
> problems and I mentioned a list of DLEs with the problem and
> thinking of the list mused "...in fact, almost everything larger
> than about 2 G is giving an error of some type."  This person
> suggested I run a test to see if a 2.2G file could be created on
> the host and it could not which made the problem rather obvious.
>
>Turns out that the problems all went away with SuSE 8.1 (kernel
> 2.4.19).
>
>In addition I can also verify that this same kernel has built in
> support for the Promise Ultra 133 TX2 card and will support a 200G
> IDE drive (Maxtor Diamond Max +9).

Well, its been recognised that rh7.0 wasn't their best effort,
particularly from the security aspect.  7.3 was much better in that
regard.  It should be brought up to 8.0, and the kde portion
overwritten with the real kde stuffs.

Here, I'm running 2.6.0-test9-mm2 on an 8.0 system.  Using the
elevator=deadline option on the grub command line as the anticipatory
scheduler seems a bit busted.  Other than that, its a much more
"responsive" system than any 2.4.x kernel was.

>Dana Bourgeois

AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M
by Gene Heskett are: