Amanda-Users

Re: can't backup a disk?

2003-11-11 12:13:57
Subject: Re: can't backup a disk?
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 12:12:08 -0500
On Tue, Nov 11, 2003 at 10:54:03AM -0600, Frank Smith wrote:
> --On Tuesday, November 11, 2003 11:38:46 -0500 Yu Chen <chen AT hhmi.umbc DOT
> edu> wrote:
>

> Since Amanda calls tar with the --one-file-system option, it won't
> follow links across partition boundaries. Dump is restriceted to a
> single partition as well.
>    It's something you have to keep in mind with Aamnda, a single
> DLE of / won't backup your entire machine if you have multiple disks
> and/or partitions.

Something I played with a while ago might allow that.
I found that a single disklist entry could "include"
mountpoints under the top-level directory.  It would
be something like this:

   butch.jgcomp.com  wholesystem  / {
        <other disklist options>
        program GNUTAR
        include append /usr
        include append /export
        include append /var
        include append /var/spool/mail
        include append .
   }

I never tried the last entry, something to include the root
file system.  But it would be needed to get the entire system.
I only explored whether multiple file systems could get into
a single DLE.

One thing I was considering it for was backing up a project
that might have pieces spread over several file systems.
So you might do something like:

   host project / {
        include append /opt/project
        include append /usr/local/project
        include append /etc/opt/project
        include append /home/jon/Projects/projects/reports
   }

Sorry if some of the syntax is not accurate, I don't have
a working example available at this time.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)