Amanda-Users

Re: can't backup a disk?

2003-11-11 11:40:38
Subject: Re: can't backup a disk?
From: Yu Chen <chen AT hhmi.umbc DOT edu>
To: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 11:38:46 -0500 (EST)
Thanks again, Gene and Frank!

Yeah, my tar is fine, it's 1.13-25. I installed amanda from rpms.
So according to Frank, since /var and /var/spool/mail are on different
diskes, tar shouldn't cross them, right?

Best
Chen

> No, by dump, I meant the program 'dump', as opposed to the program
> 'tar' (usually gnutar, and it needs to be at least version 1.13-19,
> plain old 1.13 won't do, its busted, get 1.13-25 from alpha.gnu.org's
> ftp site)
>
> tar should be able to do this, no problem, although if you leave the
> email agent running full time (I do, I'm on dsl) then its every so
> often scans of your mailbox at your ISP might occasionally cause a
> "file changed while we read it" message from tar if its updateing the
> mail spool while tar is reading it.
>
> However, since you have /var in the disklist, and tar traverses all
> subdirs below the named one, there must be a more fundamental
> problem, possibly related to permissions.  You did configure and
> build amanda as the user 'amanda' didn't you?  And then become root
> before installing her?

> >> Are you using tar, which can do a subdir, or dump, which does the
> >> whole partition or nothing?

Yu Chen
Howard Hughes Medical Institute
Chemistry Building, Rm 182
University of Maryland at Baltimore County
1000 Hilltop Circle
Baltimore, MD 21250

phone:  (410)455-6347
        (410)455-2718