Amanda-Users

Re: can't backup a disk?

2003-11-11 11:55:45
Subject: Re: can't backup a disk?
From: Frank Smith <fsmith AT hoovers DOT com>
To: Yu Chen <chen AT hhmi.umbc DOT edu>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 10:54:03 -0600
--On Tuesday, November 11, 2003 11:38:46 -0500 Yu Chen <chen AT hhmi.umbc DOT
edu> wrote:

> Thanks again, Gene and Frank!
>
> Yeah, my tar is fine, it's 1.13-25. I installed amanda from rpms.
> So according to Frank, since /var and /var/spool/mail are on different
> diskes, tar shouldn't cross them, right?

Since Amanda calls tar with the --one-file-system option, it won't
follow links across partition boundaries. Dump is restriceted to a
single partition as well.
   It's something you have to keep in mind with Aamnda, a single
DLE of / won't backup your entire machine if you have multiple disks
and/or partitions.

Frank

> Best
> Chen
>
>> No, by dump, I meant the program 'dump', as opposed to the program
>> 'tar' (usually gnutar, and it needs to be at least version 1.13-19,
>> plain old 1.13 won't do, its busted, get 1.13-25 from alpha.gnu.org's
>> ftp site)
>>
>> tar should be able to do this, no problem, although if you leave the
>> email agent running full time (I do, I'm on dsl) then its every so
>> often scans of your mailbox at your ISP might occasionally cause a
>> "file changed while we read it" message from tar if its updateing the
>> mail spool while tar is reading it.
>>
>> However, since you have /var in the disklist, and tar traverses all
>> subdirs below the named one, there must be a more fundamental
>> problem, possibly related to permissions.  You did configure and
>> build amanda as the user 'amanda' didn't you?  And then become root
>> before installing her?

> --

> Yu Chen
> Howard Hughes Medical Institute
> Chemistry Building, Rm 182
> University of Maryland at Baltimore County
> 1000 Hilltop Circle
> Baltimore, MD 21250
>
> phone:        (410)455-6347
>       (410)455-2718
> fax:  (410)455-1174
> email:        chen AT hhmi.umbc DOT edu

Frank Smith                                      fsmith AT hoovers DOT com
Systems Administrator                           Voice: 512-374-4673