Amanda-Users

Re: can't backup a disk?

2003-11-11 10:37:00
Subject: Re: can't backup a disk?
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: Yu Chen <chen AT hhmi.umbc DOT edu>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 10:35:32 -0500
On Tuesday 11 November 2003 10:13, Yu Chen wrote:
>Thanks, Gene
>
>Think that might be the problem. I will try it tonight.
>
>So you mean by "dump", it should backup everything under /var
> including /var/spool/mail? But it didn't happen on my system, the
> "dump" didn't back it up. That's why I added the entry.
>
>Chen

No, by dump, I meant the program 'dump', as opposed to the program
'tar' (usually gnutar, and it needs to be at least version 1.13-19,
plain old 1.13 won't do, its busted, get 1.13-25 from alpha.gnu.org's
ftp site)

tar should be able to do this, no problem, although if you leave the
email agent running full time (I do, I'm on dsl) then its every so
often scans of your mailbox at your ISP might occasionally cause a
"file changed while we read it" message from tar if its updateing the
mail spool while tar is reading it.

However, since you have /var in the disklist, and tar traverses all
subdirs below the named one, there must be a more fundamental
problem, possibly related to permissions.  You did configure and
build amanda as the user 'amanda' didn't you?  And then become root
before installing her?

>On Tue, 11 Nov 2003, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> On Tuesday 11 November 2003 09:42, Yu Chen wrote:
>> >Hello, I have a client with diskes like this:
>> >/dev/hda1  /boot
>> >/dev/hda2  /
>> >/dev/hda3  /var
>> >/dev/hda5  /var/spool/mail
>> >
>> >before, the amanda works fine with the first three diskes,
>> > recently, I added /var/spool/mail to the disklist, but amanda
>> > failed to back it up, gave out message:
>> >FAILURE AND STRANGE DUMP SUMMARY:
>> >  hostname /var/spool/mail lev 0 FAILED [disk /var/spool/mail
>> > offline?]
>> >
>> >I don't know where to look into, thanks for any advices!
>> >
>> >Chen
>>
>> Are you using tar, which can do a subdir, or dump, which does the
>> whole partition or nothing?

AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M
by Gene Heskett are: