Amanda-Users

Re: can't backup a disk?

2003-11-11 11:40:35
Subject: Re: can't backup a disk?
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: Frank Smith <fsmith AT hoovers DOT com>, Yu Chen <chen AT hhmi.umbc DOT edu>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 11:38:30 -0500
On Tuesday 11 November 2003 10:40, Frank Smith wrote:

>Notice that /var/spool/mail is a seperate partion than /var. Dump
>and tar (with the options Amanda calls it with) does not cross
>filesytems, so a backup of /var on your machine will not backup
>/var/spool/mail.
>
>Frank

I didn't give that much thought because this list looks almost bogus.
I've tried to do similar operations to expand disk space here while
figuring out howto get the data moved to a larger partition, and
linux seems to be able to get fooled in this regard, so I would have
had to mount the second "/var" as "/var2" or some such work around.
And I need to make a transition to yet another bigger disk here as I
have 2Gb /root at 99% & its already been moved from hda to hdd when
1Gb was a bottleneck.  120Gb drive wanted, cheap. :)

>> --
>> Cheers, Gene
>> AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
>> Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M
>> 99.27% setiathome rank, not too shabby for a WV hillbilly
>> Yahoo.com attornies please note, additions to this message
>> by Gene Heskett are:
>> Copyright 2003 by Maurice Eugene Heskett, all rights reserved.

AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M
by Gene Heskett are: