Amanda-Users

Re: newbie problems

2003-07-24 11:34:36
Subject: Re: newbie problems
From: Niall O Broin <niall AT linux DOT ie>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 16:31:51 +0100
On Thursday 24 July 2003 15:56, Yogish wrote:

> 1.How can I restore just a few files from a complete backup, for testing.

amrecover is the tool you want there.

> 2. I want to do I complete backup,once a week and the incremental backup the
> remaining days

Wow - this must be THE most FAQ. Although you can work hard to make amanda do
that, you DON'T want to. You tell amanda WHAT you want to back up, and how
often a full backup should be made, and how often you will do a backup run,
and a few other things, and amanda shuffles things in her own way.

> however when I try to backup data for the first time on tape, should I
> specify to amanda to do full backup or it will only do it.

When you add a new entry to the disklist, amanda will try to do a full backup
of that entry at the next run, provided that it fits.

> 3. Can I get a good documentation for Amanda?

There are the man pages, and there's a large amount of stuff on the web, and
there's a chapter in a backup book which is about amanda and is available
free on-line - follow your nose from www.amanda.org

> Please help if you can

The backup gods help those who help themselves, so read what's out there.
amanda has a none too shallow learning curve, but it's worth it.

--
Niall