Amanda-Users

Re: newbie problems

2003-07-23 17:57:53
Subject: Re: newbie problems
From: Frank Smith <fsmith AT hoovers DOT com>
To: Yogish <yogish.gk AT ahsinc DOT com>, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 16:54:19 -0500
--On Wednesday, July 23, 2003 11:12:02 -0600 Yogish <yogish.gk AT ahsinc DOT
com> wrote:

> Hi
> I am a newbie with amanda,  I have configured amanda according to a
> book, However when I try to amdump it gives me following error.I have
> also attached the amanada.conf and disklist files.Can anyone please help
> me
> This was the error I ran into when I checked the log files
> START planner date 20030722
> INFO planner Adding new disk localhost:/home/.
> START driver date 20030722
> WARNING driver WARNING: ignoring holding disk /home/tmp: Permission
> denied

You've said /home/tmp is your holdingdisk, but evidently your backup
user doesn't have permission to write there, so it isn't used.

> FINISH planner date 20030722
> STATS driver startup time 14.803
> ERROR taper no-tape [not an amanda tape]

Looks like you forgot to label your tape or some other tape was left
in the drive (man amlabel,  probably 'amlabel normal normal01')

> FAIL driver localhost /home/ 0 [can't switch to incremental dump]

Since it couldn't find the correct (labeled) tape to write to, it
would normally dump to your holding disk, but since that wasn't
available either, it quit.

Also, don't use 'localhost', use the fully-qualified name of the
server (i.e., host.domain.com) instead. The use of 'localhost'
will bite you sometime in the future during a restore.

> FINISH driver date 20030722 time 28.470

Other comments:

1. Usually it is best to try 'amcheck <config>' before trying an amdump,
as it gives meaningful errors for most config problems before wasting
time doing estimates and dumps that might not work.

2. Your config is not quite right:
   dumpcycle 7 weeks
   runspercycle 5 weeks
   tapecycle 25 tapes

dumpcycle is the max time between full (level 0) backups.  7 weeks seems
like a long time, but maybe thats what you want

runspercycle is how many times during the dumpcycle Amanda runs.  It is
just a number with no units of measure.  I'm sure you are planning on
running Amanda more than 5 times in 7 weeks.

tapecycle is the total number of tapes to rotate through before over-
writing the first one.  It must be at least equal to runspercycle times
runtapes, but you normally want twice that so you don't take a chance
on overwriting your last full dump  with a failed one, plus a couple
extra to allow for a bad tape or two to be removed.
   For example, with a dumpcycle of 1 week, and runspercycle of 5 (for
Monday-Friday backups), you need a bare minimum of 5 tapes but 12 would
be much safer.

3.  Mentioning your OS and Amanda version, as well as if it was installed
from a package or source, often help people find your problem.  It wasn't
necessary for your current problem, but will if you have more subtle
problems in the future.

Frank

> Regards
> Yogish
> Yogish.G.K
> American Healthcare Solutions Inc
> 405, South Lincoln
> Steamboat Springs CO-80487
> Ph-970-870-6232 ( EXT 106) (office)
> Email: yogish.gk AT ahsinc DOT com <mailto:yogish.gk AT ahsinc DOT com>

Frank Smith                                             fsmith AT hoovers DOT
com
Systems Administrator                                  Voice: 512-374-4673
Hoover's Online                                          Fax: 512-374-4501