Amanda-Users

Re: newbie problems

2003-07-23 18:02:58
Subject: Re: newbie problems
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 17:59:37 -0400
On Wed, Jul 23, 2003 at 11:12:02AM -0600, Yogish wrote:
> Hi
> I am a newbie with amanda,  I have configured amanda according to a book,
> However when I try to amdump it gives me following error.I have also attached
> the amanada.conf and disklist files.Can anyone please help me

That is a very long single line.
Spliting it is appreciated by some mail readers.

> This was the error I ran into when I checked the log files
> START planner date 20030722
> INFO planner Adding new disk localhost:/home/.

Not a factor here, but it is strongly recommended that you NOT use
localhost, but use machine names instead.

> START driver date 20030722
> WARNING driver WARNING: ignoring holding disk /home/tmp: Permission denied

Obvious permission/ownership problem on what you plan to use as a holding disk.

> FINISH planner date 20030722
> STATS driver startup time 14.803
> ERROR taper no-tape [not an amanda tape]

Sounds like you did not "amlabel" the tape.
Each tape you use must first be labelled.

> FAIL driver localhost /home/ 0 [can't switch to incremental dump]

I'll guess your amanda.conf setting for reserve is the default 100%.
Unless you lower it, your holding disk will not be used.
Because of the ownership/permission problem this was not a factor.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)