Amanda-Users

Re: newbie problems

2003-07-24 13:05:44
Subject: Re: newbie problems
From: Frank Smith <fsmith AT hoovers DOT com>
To: Yogish <yogish.gk AT ahsinc DOT com>, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 12:03:52 -0500
--On Thursday, July 24, 2003 08:56:29 -0600 Yogish <yogish.gk AT ahsinc DOT
com> wrote:

> Hi
> I was successfully able to perform a backup yesterday,thanks all of your
> help. I have a couple of doubts (trivial I'm sure).
> 1.How can I restore just a few files from a complete backup, for
> testing.

If you have indexing enabled, amrecover is the easiest way to browse
and restore individual files.
There is also an example in the amrestore man page for doing an interactive
restore, although amrestore seems (to me, anyway) more geared to restoring
an entire filesystem.

> 2. I want to do I complete backup,once a week and the incremental backup
> the remaining days,however when I try to backup data for the first time
> on tape, should I specify to amanda to do full backup or it will only do
> it.

If your dumpcycle is set to a week then Amanda will do this naturally (as
long as you don't want all of the fulls done on the same day, that is much
more difficult to accomplish and uses more time and tape).

> 3. Can I get a good documentation for Amanda?

The Amanda chapter in 'Unix Backup & Recovery' (a.k.a. 'The Chapter') is
the most complete, but the FAQ-O-Matic and the mailing list archive are
also very helpful.

Frank

>  Please help if you can
> Regards
> Yogish
> Yogish.G.K
> American Healthcare Solutions Inc
> 405, South Lincoln
> Steamboat Springs CO-80487
> Ph-970-870-6232 ( EXT 106) (office)
> Email: yogish.gk AT ahsinc DOT com <mailto:yogish.gk AT ahsinc DOT com>

Frank Smith                                             fsmith AT hoovers DOT
com
Systems Administrator                                  Voice: 512-374-4673
Hoover's Online                                          Fax: 512-374-4501