Amanda-Users

Re: I'm lost...

2003-07-16 06:05:37
Subject: Re: I'm lost...
From: Niall O Broin <niall AT linux DOT ie>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 11:04:02 +0100
On Wednesday 16 July 2003 10:43, Anders Norrbring wrote:

> I thought (after searching the web) that amanda should provide a nice and
> friendly X interface, or at least a web page to do administering and job
> control in?

Exactly what led you to think that ? Can you provide references ? The idea of
a GUI or web interface has been mentioned often and as someone said
yesterday, PCABM (patches cheerfully accepted by maintainers)

> After what I've seen so far, trying to find any documentation at all, is
> that it's completely .conf file manoeuvred?  If I want to change anything,
> let's say awhat files should be backed up in this run, I need to edit a
> .conf file, and then run it?

That's right - unfortunately, amanda isn't clairvoyant, and she needs you to
tell her what to do.

> If that's the case, can someone please point me to what I'm looking for??

I'm sure someone can, but that someone would need to first know what it is
you're looking for.

If it's amanda documentation so that you know what config files you need to
change, www.amanda.org would be a good place to start.
If OTOH you're looking for the source of an Amanda pointy clicky interface,
you're SOL.
If you're looking for a backup tool which has a pointy clicky interface, there
are a number of vendors of proprietary tools out there - Bru, Veritas,
Arkeiea etc. As I'm not afraid of vi (I hate it, but I'm not AFRAID of it -
and anyway, I use emacs) I use amanda, like most people here (here being the
amanda mailing list) so I'm afraid I can't help you with that. Google is your
friend.

Niall