Amanda-Users

Re: I'm lost...

2003-07-16 06:01:57
Subject: Re: I'm lost...
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: Anders Norrbring <anders AT norrbring DOT biz>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 11:59:53 +0200
Anders Norrbring wrote:

Have I misunderstood the whole concept here?
I thought (after searching the web) that amanda should provide a nice and
friendly X interface, or at least a web page to do administering and job
control in?

No X interface.  But of course, you can use any X-capable editor to edit
the conf-files.
Hey, we're all sysadmins; we are the command line oriented kind of
people -- at least I am, speaking for myself here...

After what I've seen so far, trying to find any documentation at all, is
that it's completely .conf file manoeuvred?  If I want to change anything,
let's say awhat files should be backed up in this run, I need to edit a
.conf file, and then run it?

You only have to edit the conf-files when you add or delete hosts/disks.
Normally this is not a day to day task.
The backup itself is normally run by a cronjob at night,
without need for an X-interface either.
In the morning I read the mail generated by amanda, in a nice
x-environment, yes.

But, this morning I just learned another acronym on this list: PCABM.