Amanda-Users

Re: I'm toast... (WAS: I'm lost...)

2003-07-16 07:04:46
Subject: Re: I'm toast... (WAS: I'm lost...)
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: "Anders Norrbring" <anders AT norrbring DOT biz>, "Amanda users" <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 07:02:10 -0400
On Wednesday 16 July 2003 06:21, Anders Norrbring wrote:
>> > Have I misunderstood the whole concept here?
>> > I thought (after searching the web) that amanda should provide a
>> > nice
>>
>> and
>>
>> > friendly X interface, or at least a web page to do administering
>> > and job control in?
>>
>> No X interface.  But of course, you can use any X-capable editor
>> to edit the conf-files.
>> Hey, we're all sysadmins; we are the command line oriented kind of
>> people -- at least I am, speaking for myself here...
>
>Well, me too..  But, there are others using the system, and the
> don't always 'settle' for a nightly backup of entire systems.  They
> need (for a reason I'm too stupid to understand) backups every now
> and then of files they need to archive immediately (at any time
> *sigh*) and store away in their private office safe. (?)
>
>> > After what I've seen so far, trying to find any documentation at
>> > all, is that it's completely .conf file manoeuvred?  If I want
>> > to change
>>
>> anything,
>>
>> > let's say awhat files should be backed up in this run, I need to
>> > edit a .conf file, and then run it?
>>
>> You only have to edit the conf-files when you add or delete
>> hosts/disks. Normally this is not a day to day task.
>> The backup itself is normally run by a cronjob at night,
>> without need for an X-interface either.
>> In the morning I read the mail generated by amanda, in a nice
>> x-environment, yes.
>>
>> But, this morning I just learned another acronym on this list:
>> PCABM.
>
>*LOL*  Yeah.. :)  But that doesn't really save my ass from the
> users.  And since the server they want to use as "their" backup
> server isn't the main backup server (which by the way it Legato and
> DLT-robot powered) it can't cost a lot to build it as a "personal
> backup server".  That in turn puts me in trouble, because the only
> tape drive I have available to that server is a HP Colorado (Travan
> TR-5) drive connected to the parallel port (shows up at /dev/pt0).
>
>Try to find a nice backup app with a friendly i/f that can use that
> kind of drive... *sigh*

My personal experience with the TR-X drives wasn't exactly a
honeymoon,  and running it thru the parport has got to be so slow as
to discourage its use after one pass by the user.  The drive will
probably 'shoe-shine' itself into oblivion in due time.  If the
machine has a scsi card in it, something more recent that an Adaptec
154x, then they who want that should be encouraged to search ebay for
a suitable DDS2 drive, they are often less than a $50 USD bill, and
uses $2.50 tapes (ebay again) whereas the Travan TR-5 tape is about
$50 each.  Probably less on ebay though.

How big are these 'personal' files?  Could they be put on a CD with a
writer?  There are numerous methods which will get smaller jobs done.

AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M
by Gene Heskett are: