Amanda-Users

Re: bug in disklist?

2003-05-20 22:30:18
Subject: Re: bug in disklist?
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 22:28:57 -0400
On Wed, May 21, 2003 at 03:16:06AM +0200, Mats Blomstrand wrote:
> > Not a great explanation, but the best I can do on short notice.
>
> Thanks for trying, but im still stuck.
>
> Now i have tried ...
>       /home/blom/05
>       /home/blom/Mail
> and
>       ./05
>       ./Mail
> and
>       05*
>       Mail*
> and
>       ./05*
>       ./Mail*
>
> in the exclude-file. And none of them is working. I still get the "dump
> larger than tape" message.
>
> Any more ideas?

Mats,
One suggestion is to stop assuming that what you do is correct.

For example, your attempt to use the exclude feature did not work,
so you assumed it was a bug.

Here is another possible one.  Maybe your directory, even minus what
you are excluding, is larger than one tape.  I know, you "proved" your
home directory is only 200MB in an earlier message by showing:

        $ du -sk /home/blom
        6035616 /home/blom
        $ ls -s /home/blom |head -1
        total 221184
        $

But what does "ls -s" report?  The size of the files displayed, not the
size of all files in all subdirectories.  And even that does not consider
all of your "dot" files and all the files in the "dot" subdirectories.

A better check would be to take the 6 GB reported by du and subtract the
sizes shown by du -sk of each of your excluded subdirectories.

Perhaps you don't have the exclude feature working properly, but other
simple possibilities exist also.  Just a check, the exclude file is
being found by amanda right?  Look in your debug files see if there are
any messages about missing, wrong permissions, but being ignored.  Also,
the exclude file is on the "client" being backed up right?  Not on the
amanda server -- unless they are the same of course.

jl
 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)