Amanda-Users

Re: bug in disklist?

2003-05-20 17:13:11
Subject: Re: bug in disklist?
From: Frank Smith <fsmith AT hoovers DOT com>
To: Mats Blomstrand <mats.blomstrand AT htu DOT se>, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 16:12:05 -0500
--On Tuesday, May 20, 2003 23:04:05 +0200 Mats Blomstrand <mats.blomstrand AT htu
DOT se> wrote:

I think i ran into a bug in disklist.

Im trying to squeeze in my large disk onto a tiny DDS2 (4GiB)
and im therefore fiddling with the 'disklist'.

The strategy i try to use to deal with a large directory (as my $HOME) is to
specify the top level dir and exclude every dir inside it, leaving just the
files at the top to backup. I then add every excluded directory as a target
in the 'disklist'-file.

Here is the different sizes:
        $ du -sk /home/blom
        6035616 /home/blom
        $ ls -s /home/blom |head -1
        total 221184
        $

As you can see, the size i shrinking from 6GiB to 200MiB.

** However! **
I get this in the report from 'amdump':
        FAILURE AND STRANGE DUMP SUMMARY:
        bergelmer. /home/blom lev 0 FAILED [dump larger than tape, but cannot\
        incremental dump new disk]

But as i just showed you, the size is only 200MiB. Here is my disklist-file
        # head disklist
        bergelmer.thn.htu.se /home/blom {
          normal_backup
          exclude file "/usr/local/amanda/etc/normal/exclude-file_home_blom"
        } 1
        bergelmer.thn.htu.se /home/blom/05 normal_backup 1
        bergelmer.thn.htu.se /home/blom/Mail normal_backup 1
        bergelmer.thn.htu.se /home/blom/.ssh normal_backup 1
        bergelmer.thn.htu.se /home/blom/02 normal_backup 1
        bergelmer.thn.htu.se /home/blom/.netscape normal_backup 1
        #

To me this look likes a bug. Is it?
What can i do to make it backup the topdir-files?

Thanks a lot for your help!
//Mats

Are you using tar for your backups (only tar uses exclude files)?
Is the format of your exclude file correct? Something like:
./05
./Mail

Frank

--
Frank Smith                                             fsmith AT hoovers DOT
com