Amanda-Users

Re: bug in disklist?

2003-05-20 20:55:34
Subject: Re: bug in disklist?
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: Mats Blomstrand <mats.blomstrand AT htu DOT se>, Frank Smith <fsmith AT hoovers DOT com>
Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 20:51:17 -0400
On Tuesday 20 May 2003 18:34, Mats Blomstrand wrote:
>> I'm fairly certain the entries need to be relative to the
>> filesystem you're backing up (at least all of mine are), so they
>> would need to be: ./05
>> ./Mail
>
>Iam testing that right now. According to 'amstatus' that doesnt
> help.
>
>But i have tried to read up on the subject in the GNU-tar manual
>(chapter 6.4 and 6.5). And as far as i can understand it is
> realative as you are saying and the format (shell wildcards)
> should be changed to:
>
>05*
>Mail*
>
>... etc ...
>
>I will test that tomorrow. Thanks for the help!
>//Mats

Let me run this by you again.  Exclude strings need an anchor. That
anchor is the "./", so that if you have say ./kdenonbeta, then that
directory, and the rest of its subdirs, will be skipped.  But that
directory can be moved to any location on that partition and it
will still be skipped.

AFAIK, the leading ./ is mandatory.  The reason is that tar recurses
thru the directory tree that starts at the DLE entry.  It does NOT
normally operate on full data paths, so if you have given it
/usr/src/kdenonbeta as an exclude argument, when it is scanning the
files in /usr/src and finds kdenonbeta, there is not exclude match
since its looking only at the filename, not the whole path, so it
gets backed up.

Not a great explanation, but the best I can do on short notice.

This is all in the docs, if one should be so inclined as to actually
read them.  Recommended reading in fact.

AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M
by Gene Heskett are: