Amanda-Users

Re: Pornography

2003-03-21 05:50:29
Subject: Re: Pornography
From: Scott Mcdermott <smcdermott AT questra DOT com>
To: Kirk Strauser <kirk AT strauser DOT com>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2003 04:22:37 -0500
Kirk Strauser on Thu 20/03 18:33 -0600:
> > There is no reason someone should not want to subscribe
> > to the list to post.
>
> That's not true:
>
> "Oh, crap, my server just melted, and I'm having trouble
> getting Amanda to work!  I need an answer ASAP!  I know,
> I'll send an email to amanda-users AT amanda DOT org from my home
> email address, even though I don't want to flood my slow
> home connection with a bunch of mailing lists..."

honestly...just give up this garbage.  Even if you post
when you aren't subscribed, you STILL have to read the
following posts through a gateway (or whatever) to determine
if they are related to YOUR post.  There is no difference:
do it through a web gateway, or do it through you mail user
agent.  If you say "but they CC me" then I will say that
that is fortunate for you, but not guaranteed (some people
insist on this, and some people hate it -- welcome to
mailing lists).

Stop expecting other people to shoulder your burden.  If you
can't subscribe before you post, then you shouldn't friggin'
post.  Arrgh this is annoying.  What is so hard to
understand? It's a cooperative venture for LOTS of people,
not one provided for your benefit.

Sorry, I will shut up now.